Monday, February 02, 2009

Building your Contacts by Recconecting with old friends

Yesterday I received an e-mail from someone I went to school with, so I researched his name on the Internet and found a firm owned by someone of the same last name. I clicked on 'HISTORY OF THE FIRM' and his name was listed so I emailed him and it was the same guy I sat next to for English studies for 3 years! It turns out that he is the person in control of all the safety aspects of one of the largest building firms for Sydneyland and we are now reconnected.

There are many ways to reconnect with people from your past. www.batchmates.com,
www.myspace.com, www.facebook.com, www.twitter.com, www.linkedin.com. I registered for linkedin about 2 years ago and now have over 2.3 million people that I'm connected with from my original 239 contacts. Why is this important. Well, when I click on ADVANCED SEARCH, I can type in 'Skiing' OR 'Newington College' OR 'Hang Gliding' and get a list of everyone connected to me that has ties to that subject. What a great way of starting a relationship and building a dialogue. What a great way to reconnect with someone from you past!

If you live in a remote area or if you are busy and have a hard time getting out of the house or office, this is a perfect way to expand your network and build new relationships. Sign up, invite a few people and then do some 'Advanced Searches' on topics, jobs, schools, etc and see who comes up!

"The kindness we resolve to show tomorrow cures no headache today." - Unknown Author

Your action for today is to go out of your way to show some kindness to someone.

No comments: